Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Tour de USA | Stage 12 Continental Divide | Grant’s, NM

Another great day.  It was a shorter day with some climbing to the Continental Divide, but a major HEADWIND for the last 40 miles.
Above is my friend, Bob, he was the oldest rider on the tour, age 78.  Yesterday was his last day, as he had planned to only ride the first 11 days, as he had some prior commitments and he has ridden the ride across the country several years ago.  Bob is the same age that my father would be this year, and he reminded me a lot of my father, we were fast friends, and there was a cake for Bob’s departure last night.

Good news, we rode on Route 66 for the majority of the ride, only 10 miles today on I-40, again, the only reason we are on I-40 is there is no other alternative.  I-40 has killed so may small communities that were once along Route 66, it is just amazing.  I did pick up another wire on I-40, put it didn’t work it’s way through until after the rest stop. 

This was our view early am, we were riding together for maybe the first 10 miles.  I-40 on our right, mountains on our left and Route 66 straight ahead, and I mean straight. Also, I was starting to have some hand numbness the last couple of days, because of so many miles and hours on the bike.  I talked with one of the owners, who used to be a racer, and we decided that I really didn’t need the additional weight on my back from the Camelbak, that holds additional water.  Since I already have 2 bottles on my bike, I left it today and it made a world of difference.  I guess my core is strong enough for my normal body, but not strong enough to hold up an additional 10+ lbs of water every day for hours on end.  Another obstacle overcome. 

Sights from our ride today.

Me racing the train, the train won.

The Continental Divide, elevation 7295 ft.

My friend Barry from Venice, FL is a great rider, usually one of the first in each day.



This is the SAG stop at the Continental Divide, and we had fresh cherries, bananas, and oranges along with the usual Cliff Bars, etc. Robin is here checking us in and out of the SAG.  She rides with us some of the days as well, as do some of the other “staff”, they take turns.  All are great.

This is my friend Cathy, she is from San Francisco and is a great rider.

The official Continental Divide sign.


There is actually a post office and city called Continental Divide. Photo by Cathy Switzer. 

Here are some more of my friends, Mary from Sacramento, Adam from Chapel Hill, and John from Wilmington, NC



This reminded me of old spaghetti westerns, with the railroad, and the mountain backdrop. We see a ton of trains that are massive, with usually 3 or 4 engines in the front, with 2 in the rear. They are at least a mile long.

VERY long and Straight Route 66, I-40 is still on the right, mountains on the left.





Welcome to GRANTS, NM

Data and map. Here is the video 


My speed was reduced today, even with the seemingly easy afternoon, EXCEPT for the Headwind.  We only had 1 SAG today, and we were at the SAG around 9:30, and several of my friends were getting ready to leave the SAG, and I said “why are you leaving so early?”  Mind as well hang here for awhile rather than in the lobby of the hotel waiting on our rooms, and it’s all downhill from here.  WRONG!  It was all down hill EXCEPT the Headwind was brutal, and really slowed our last 40 miles.  But we got into town, and took some pictures, and then went to Subway next to the hotel, and there were a lot of other riders there as well.  Below is what I saw on my computer at the SAG, with the point being the SAG at the Continental Divide.


Thank you for following along with me on this journey, and if you can please make a donation to the Children's Hospital below.  100% of your funds go to the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.


https://vanderbilt.ejoinme.org/bikeacrosstheusa


As a non-profit institution, the Children's Hospital provides care to the children who come through its' doors regardless of the family's ability to pay.  Caring support from the community allows this level of service to continue.

1 comment:

  1. Cool to see these pics. Lifelong friends being made as you are “in the trenches” together. Lots of lessons in that working together with one goal breaks down barriers and unites a team. Keep plugging.

    ReplyDelete