Friday, May 25, 2018

Tour de USA | Stage 14, Santa Fe, NM 68 miles


Today was another great day.  We have been very lucky with the weather, nice cool mornings, and warming up in the afternoons, today was a hot one, especially with all of the climbing.  We went from Albuquerque to Santa Fe about 68 miles, and almost 5000 ft of climbing.  What was very interesting is that this area is the only place in the world where there are 3 different mountain ranges and all 3 were created differently, fault, volcano, and  block.  Above are the mountains that we rode over.

I am looking forward to a day off as well.  My knee is starting to hurt a little bit, and a little extra time off will do it some good.  Everyone has aches and pains, and some of left the tour (2), and 2 others have left today, although they had originally signed up for just 2 weeks.  There have also been others that have hopped into the sag wagon for a little ride, or to skip a day.  Not me!  So a day of rest will be great.

In case you weren’t sure how high up I was, look, ski area.

We rode on 14N today, also know as the Turquoise Trail, and The Lost Highway that Jim Morrison of The Doors sang about.  I believe he was from Santa Fe, NM.

Some pictures of the views I saw today while climbing.







Look closely at this sign, above the cow.  It’s a alien spaceship, and it is really on the sign, NOT a sticker.



Here are a couple of pictures of the decent I am about to make, and then climb back up, ugh!





Check out this sign, not sure what that is? Lockness Monster, Werewolf?  This was in the town of Madrid, where we stopped for lunch.


The restaurant that we ate at today.  They said the Buffalo was fresh and raised about 10 miles away.

I had the special, Buffalo Burger on a Bisquit with green chilies, YUM!

Another alien UFO sign, just to show you that I am serious.

My bike in front of bike art, hard to see in this picture, see a close up below.





Here is the map, a lot of moving north.
The video for you video lovers:  https://www.relive.cc/view/1595836257

Here are some of the data points.

Man, I was hungry after a big ride today, and then doing the weekly bike wash on the rest day.  Although tomorrow is the official rest day, I washed my bike while I was still hot and sweaty.  I will do laundry tomorrow.  I walked about a 1/2 mile to this great Mexican restaurant that was recommended.  It was the real deal, and I am not sure what I ate, except I order carne asada enchilada, the rest that came with it, no clue, but it was great.  I was so hungry, I ate it before the picture.  But I remembered for the desert.  Look at how big the sopapillas that I ordered for desert are, and yes they were good.


Thank you for following along with me on this journey, and if you can please make a donation to the Children's Hospital below.  100% of your funds go to the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.


https://vanderbilt.ejoinme.org/bikeacrosstheusa


As a non-profit institution, the Children's Hospital provides care to the children who come through its' doors regardless of the family's ability to pay.  Caring support from the community allows this level of service to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment