Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Tour de USA | Stage 26 Topeka, KS | GREAT STORY | 108 miles



Another great day on the bike, although it was long, 108 miles, hot and humid, but whatever, I was on my bike.  And I have a GREAT STORY to share with you below.  But first, let me tell you we saw a lot of interesting things today, and the roads were awesome, like some of the old country roads that I ride in middle TN once we get out of town.  Just a great day, but again long.  I ( and 2 others that I was riding with) ran out of water before we got to the 2nd and final SAG around 75 miles.  We had to slow down and conserve our water, but all was fine, and I drank 64 oz of water and Gatorade at the SAG. I needed it! Today we also hit the MIDPOINT of the journey!  I am half way there!

Look closely below and see the helicopter by the barn, the “rich” farmer was about to take off when I rode by.

I also want to send a shout out to my friend, Greg P. From Tulsa, who left us yesterday.  He gave me his wider tires, and they rode great today.  He was paying it forward, and just minutes after he gave them to me, another rider ended up working out a great deal for Greg on some Zipp wheels.  The other rider hated them, and had his old wheels shipped to Abilene, and he didn’t know what to do with the new wheels he just took off of his bike.  He sold them to Greg for a song.

Here is a small windmill, compared to the wind turbines, we were seeing the last week.

I am not sure if this old school is still a working school or not.  It was out for the summer for sure.

Here are some scenes from the ride today, the house is having trouble standing up.

Long straight and rolling hills, we had a lot of climbing, over 4000 ft.
GREAT STORY

Ok, so here it is:  I get a lot of emails and texts from a lot of people, some I know and some I don’t, and I love them all.  The encouragement, the support, the thanks for raising money for the Children’s Hospital, and sometimes to just check up on me and how I am doing.  So, Thank You for all of the messages.

But today’s story is from a gentlemen that I have never met. He saw my story through the Harpeth Bike Club, and one of my friends that I have mentioned here several times, Jerry F., connected us by forwarding this gentlemen’s text to me.  I responded back to him last night, and said thanks for reaching out, etc.  But I want you to read what he wrote to me.  It is awesome, and brings a tear to my eye that my father had such a positive impact on so many people.  

Bruce,

I am glad you received the message.  Wishing you the best in your travels
across the US.

There actually was quite a bit more drama to the story that I shared in the
first email.

In 9th grade, my daughter, who played forward on her soccer team and is
very, very fast, received the ball that turned into a break-away
opportunity.  As she neared the goal, the goalkeeper came out to meet her
and trapped the ball just as Susanna attacked the ball for the "kill".  In
that instant, all the force of her kick was transferred into her femur that
snapped.  She went down, was transferred by ambulance, originally to
Williamson Medical, then to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital, and she was
operated on by your father.  It was a skillful surgery because the break
occurred near the growth plate.  Four screws were inserted into her leg.

The next year she returned to the soccer field.

Fast forward to now, she is 29 years old and works in Community relations at
the Tennessee Titans.

If I were standing in front of you telling this story I would get choked up.

Your father was an able surgeon who helped a lot of people.

All the best,

Mark


What an awesome email!!!  This is why I am raising money for the Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital!!  Thanks for your donations, the hospital does make a difference in our community!

We rode through one area that had a lot of “yard art” on crooked posts, see the art below.

















Bruce The Moose








Here is the map today.  Getting closer to Missouri, and tomorrow we hit Missouri.

It was a hot and humid 108 miles.
Here is the video: Check out Morning Ride  https://www.relive.cc/view/1621829514

Thank you for following along with me on this journey, and if you can please make a donation to the Children's Hospital below.  100% of your funds go to the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.


https://vanderbilt.ejoinme.org/bikeacrosstheusa


As a non-profit institution, the Children's Hospital provides care to the children who come through its' doors regardless of the family's ability to pay.  Caring support from the community allows this level of service to continue.


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on half way point. Love seeing all the Yard art that we 4-wheelers miss at 70 mph! Also enjoyed Mark's note about your dad fixing what could have been a lifetime disability.

    ReplyDelete