Monday, June 18, 2018

Tour de USA | Stage 38 Wooster, OH 100 miles


Today was a nice good day on the bike, not great.  We are back to the 3 of the 4 H’s again, Heat, Humidity, Hills, and Headwind, although we didn’t have the headwind, it was actually pushing us a little today.  My real issue is that I went a little too hard yesterday trying to get some miles in before it really heated up, and probably should have slowed it down, it’s not a race.  So today it was hot early and we went out slower than normal, and I was sweating a lot by mile 20.  I drank a lot of Gatorade today, and ate at the 2 SAGs, but by mile 80 it caught up to me.  I stopped and took 3 saltstick capsules, that has a lot of sodium, potassium and other things that you sweat out, and I ate a cliff bar.  By mile 85 I decided I should stop and pull over and hang out under a tree for several minutes, which I did and was a great idea, again not a race, just finish.  At mile 90 the SAG wagon was pulled over and I got a refill of Gatorade and drank a bottle there.  I must say that my friend Navi was in the SAG van today, and it’s her last day, as she has been cleared to ride tomorrow from her fall the other day.  Anyway, she was there and took care of me with the fluids and making sure that I was ok.  She will make a great doctor someday, and she get’s credit for the black and white picture above from one of the SAG stops today.

By mile 92 I was great!  There was about a 1.5 mile descent after mile 90 and it cooled me off as well as I drank some more fluids, and I went flying up the last major hill feeling good.  

Today’s ride was backend loaded with the majority of the climbing in the second half, after it really heated up.


Early in the ride there was the standard rolling hills and green pastures.

And more corn.

We had to cross another bridge that was out today, there goes Cathy blowing right by the sign.  The guys were working on the bridge today as it’s a Monday, and yesterday was Sunday and no one was at the bridges yesterday.  They were none too happy to stop and let us pass.

Welcome to Historic Downtown Wooster, OH, the home of the Wooster Brush.

Here is a funny text that I received from a friend, Clyde Freestyle, in Tampa.  (He has changed his name as a man can never have too many aliases)

I rode yesterday for the first time in a year.  Your numbers are astounding.  Even a short time with the peloton on Davis Island and  they were only hitting 18 with flat and no wind.   I told Dad On Fathers Day to keep living because i won’t be able to do any bike trip soon.

Here is the map, heading northeast now, and just south of Cleveland.  My apologies to my friends from Cleveland, but they call it “The Mistake by the Lake”.



Here are the numbers today.


Thank you for following along with me on this journey, and if you can please make a donation to the Children's Hospital below.  100% of your funds go to the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.


https://vanderbilt.ejoinme.org/bikeacrosstheusa


As a non-profit institution, the Children's Hospital provides care to the children who come through its' doors regardless of the family's ability to pay.  Caring support from the community allows this level of service to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment