Saturday, June 23, 2018

Tour de USA | Stage 43 Canandaigua, NY 95 miles



Another very interesting and long day in the saddle.  It started out wet and cold this morning, as it rained last night and it looked like it was going to rain on us again today, but we got lucky.  The only real rain was last night, and we only had sprinkles throughout the day again.  It was chilly, in the mid 60’s again today, so different from all of the heat and humidity that I was dealing with only a week ago.  I am sure that it will probably get a lot warmer soon.

One of the BIG MILESTONES today was that we hit 3000 total miles biked so far!! It’s getting real!  Total for the whole trip is ONLY 3400!!  I know I said only 3400, but that’s only about 400 more, AMAZING!

Above are 2 of my friends, Chris and Barry.  And below is from Navi who just graduated from college and is going to go to med school.


Unfortunately today was a day filled with a ton of FLATS for everyone.  I only had 1, and there were several others that only had 1 today.  Navi had 2, Cathy had 3, Mike had 3, Mark P had 2, Mark C had 3, Susan had 2, Peyton the new kid had 2, John had 2,Terry had 1, Itchy had 1, and those (21) are the ones that I know about.  I think what happened was the rain had washed the glass, and sharp objects out of the cracks, and potholes in the road onto the pavement, and into our tires.  We all picked a lot of sharp objects out of our tires today and at the end of the ride we all checked our tires.  I also reinstalled my tire liners tonight in both of my wheels.  At the end of the day the tire liners aren’t causing my flats, and might help prevent some flats.

Below is a picture of me listening for the hole in my tube.  Once I locate the hole, I can match it up to my tire and see if I can find the object in my tire that caused the flat, and hopefully remove it.  Otherwise the object can puncture a new tube and we are back to square one, and we don’t want to be there.


I saw Bruce’s Automotive early on today and stopped for a pic.


I saw this Bison and wanted to ride it like my other animals, but was concerned that I might break it, as it didn’t seem very sturdy, oh well.


Here is the map from today, we are near the finger lakes area of NY, and are actually at one of them in Canandaigua. 


If you look at the data below, specifically the circled area, Cafe time, that represents the total amount of time today when I was not riding my bike, 2 hours+ that is time that I was standing around at SAG, or helping others change their tires, and I helped a lot of people do that today.  It was a good thing as they needed the help and I needed to rest my knee as I have been having a lot of knee pain.  So I decided to ride a lot slower than I normal do.  I need to finish this thing, too close to blow up now!


Thank you for following along with me on this journey, and if you can please make a donation to the Children's Hospital below.  100% of your funds go to the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.


https://vanderbilt.ejoinme.org/bikeacrosstheusa


As a non-profit institution, the Children's Hospital provides care to the children who come through its' doors regardless of the family's ability to pay.  Caring support from the community allows this level of service to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment