Sunday, June 17, 2018

Tour de USA | Stage 37 Marysville, OH | In Loving Memory of Cindy H. Ruff



Another great day today!  I love saying that!  We crossed into our 10th state, and it was our 9th state line crossing.  It was a long, 105 miles, hot, humid day and we are starting to see some more hills.  We are getting closer.  Tomorrow is another 100 mile day with a lot of climbing, which will be interesting to see how I handle that, since we have not had much climbing for a couple of weeks.

Today’s blog I want to dedicate it to a friend of mine that has since passed.  I included an email from her husband, Tim R. Yesterday in the blog.  She was one of my first friends that I made both at the bank and in Tampa.  They were close to Lynn and me, and I miss her.  Cindy Hill Ruff RIP.

I would also like to say Happy Father’s Day out there!  I miss my father very much, and as you know I have dedicated this ride to him and We, all of us, are raising money for the Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital.  Thank You.  I would also like to say Happy Father’s Day to my father in law, Art Hufford, he has been a great father to me!  Thank you and I hope you enjoyed your day.

Today we had 2 places that we had to do a little 4 wheeling, well not really, but we definitely had to get off of our bikes and walk a little bit.  Below the bridge was out, and we had to walk across what I think was part of the old bridge.  All in a days work.






As I stated earlier, it was hot, but it sure seemed hotter than 92, but there was a lot of humidity as well.


If you look closely at my shorts you will see the salt that has collected from all of the sweat dripping down to my shorts.


Me posing at Dairy Queen, showing off my salt stained pants, or is it my Large Strawberry Shake?

Everyone seems to think my salt pants were funny today.

Another interesting thing happened to me today.  I roll into our first SAG today, and as I was getting off of the bike, and walking over to the van with the food, and drinks, a man (Tom) said, “Hey are you Bruce?”  I said yes, and he said, “ I have been following your blog from LA to here”. How cool is that?   He recognized me from my pictures in the blog.  He is from the Ohio area that we were in and is thinking of doing the ride next year with a friend.  I talked to him for a little while.

And then this evening my friend Jerry F. From Nashville and my riding buddy told me that a lot of our friends from home were also reading the blog.  He called me a “RockStar”, that might be a slight stretch, but Thanks Jerry, a man can always wish.  He has been a great supporter of mine!  

Tonight I had 4 family guests coming and visit me, from L-R Jeff H., Cheryl H., Dave E. And Barb E.  For some reason my friends think I am paying all of these people to come and visit me.  LOL :). Thanks guys, love the visits and support!  You rock.


Below is the map for today, just a little northwest of Columbus.  We are going to be heading a lot more northeastward now.


A pretty fast day for 105 miles, I will slow it down tomorrow in the heat and hills, I just got excited because I was riding well, and wanted to knock out a bunch of miles before it got too hot.


Thank you for following along with me on this journey, and if you can please make a donation to the Children's Hospital below.  100% of your funds go to the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.


https://vanderbilt.ejoinme.org/bikeacrosstheusa


As a non-profit institution, the Children's Hospital provides care to the children who come through its' doors regardless of the family's ability to pay.  Caring support from the community allows this level of service to continue.


No comments:

Post a Comment