Saturday, June 16, 2018

Tour de USA | Stage 36 Richmond, IN 73 miles | and another good story


Another great day on the bike.  It was hot and humid today, but no hills, and I had plenty of hydration.  Tomorrow is a long day, 105 miles, followed by 3 more long days all in the mid 90 mile range.

The civil war monument above is in downtown Indianapolis, I took it last night after dinner at Buca de Beppo. And below is Navi and me on the circle by the monument. Behind us are carousels where you can take a book.  Pretty cool idea.



The picture below is  a group of us on the bike trail on the way into the city yesterday.  From L-R: Emil, Mark, Pete, Cathy, me, and Rick.


Here is another bike trail that we were on for a few miles heading out of the city.  The traffic was very light early this am, probably because it was Saturday.



Several of us at a stop light today.  L-R Me, Payton (yellow jersey, we just added him to the staff from a local bike shop in Champaign), Emil, and Dana.

The Hoosier Poet, James Riley, was out today reading books.

And I stopped by for a short story.  He was having an “Off” day.


I saw a local dragon and went for a ride with him.  He had heard about me riding a jackrabbit and a dinosaur already on the tour, so he thought I should add a dragon to the list.

Below we are in somewhat of a paceline, although we rode very slow today, saving ourselves for the next 4 days.

Lincoln’s Funeral train mural.  It was large, notice my bike in the picture for reference.

I want to share another email with you that I received today.  It is an old friend of mine from Tampa that I haven’t spoken with in many years.  We were great friends, and I worked with his wife for many years as well, unfortunately she has since passed.  His email really touched me, what a great guy!

Bruce,

I have been following your ride through the great narratives and pictures of your blog.
This is a good thing that you are doing to honor your father. While I did not know him, it is exciting to hear the stories you tell of all the people that he has helped and lives that he has influenced. 

I wanted to reach out and say hey while you were in my home state of Indiana.
I enjoyed the shout out to John Mellencamp. I can remember some great parties at our house on Sevilla listening to his music. Indy is a great town. Hope you were treated to some Hoosier hospitality while there.

I look forward to following the rest of your trip as you head into Cindy’s home state of Ohio today.  O-H....!

Congratulations on this great accomplishment.
Safe travels.

Tim R. (His last name is being left out for privacy)

P.S. say hi to Lynn


Thanks Tim for reaching out!

If you have a story you would like to share with me, please email me at brucegreen2@comcast.net 

Here is the map today.  We are approximately 2 miles from the border of Ohio, represented by the pinkish line.

Below are the stats from today, a relatively easy and flat day.


Thank you for following along with me on this journey, and if you can please make a donation to the Children's Hospital below.  100% of your funds go to the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.


https://vanderbilt.ejoinme.org/bikeacrosstheusa


As a non-profit institution, the Children's Hospital provides care to the children who come through its' doors regardless of the family's ability to pay.  Caring support from the community allows this level of service to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment