Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Tour de USA | Stage 40 Erie, PA 90 miles



Well the end of a long mileage week is here, and I and the other cyclists are in need of a rest day.  2 days of 100 miles or more, back to back, followed by a 94 mile day, followed by a 90 mile day today, and we rode 3 days before the last 4 of this week.  Today was a good day, although we had a lot of rain 80% of the time, and a slight headwind all day, and the average temperature was around 65 degrees. This website (below) really is amazing.  I am surprised there isn’t a US version.

The sign above is the road along Lake Erie, and we were on it for probably 20 miles today.


The day started off dark, and we saw the rain clouds in the distance, and knew it was coming, or more like we were heading right into the rain.  We had another road closed today, this one was much easier to navigate, as it was just a small sink hole causing the closure, we quickly went around the signs.


But before the rain found us, there were more barns, corn, soybeans, and farms to be seen.



The pitch of the roofs has gotten a lot steeper to help remove the snow in the winter, or prevent it from piling too high and causing a roof collapse. 

We are at SAG 1 deciding if the rain is going to lighten up, or if we just need to go.  We went, and it rained almost the rest of the way. Tom had the truck at the SAG and a lot of us got our rain coats out of our luggage. It was great to have him there, as I also wanted my rain gear.

Found a couple of murals, and I like Bull Durham, so here you go. Notice my rain coat?  It’s raining, LOL, and I was soaked.  But the cooler temperature in the mid 60’s was fine because the rain coat keeps in some of the body heat even with the vents in the back.  So I really can’t wear it when it is much warmer, and this is the first day that I did wear it.  The other days when it rained some, I just rode through it without any rain gear.

Thought this mural was funny, “Have a Golden Dawn Day” and we had rain almost all day. 

Nothing like stopping at a Root Beer Float Stand on the side of the road for a root beer float and a double cheeseburger for lunch.  I have already had some of the root beer and ice cream in this picture, as I was too excited about it to take a picture when it first arrived.

Here is a picture of the open air root beer stand, it was very good, and a nice break from the rain, road grit and grime that was getting sprayed all over me.

Welcome to Pennsylvania!!



The Port of Lake Erie is behind me.

Our hotel tonight and tomorrow is right on Lake Erie, and this picture is at the hotel.

Here is the map of today’s ride, into Pennsylvania. Tomorrow is a rest day, and I have already cleaned my bike, done my laundry, and had some food downstairs in the hotel.  Feeling good!

It was a relatively slow day with the rain.


Thank you for following along with me on this journey, and if you can please make a donation to the Children's Hospital below.  100% of your funds go to the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.


https://vanderbilt.ejoinme.org/bikeacrosstheusa


As a non-profit institution, the Children's Hospital provides care to the children who come through its' doors regardless of the family's ability to pay.  Caring support from the community allows this level of service to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment