Friday, June 22, 2018

Tour de USA | Stage 42 Hamburg, NY 80 miles



Today was a good day, it had many parts to it that made me happy and sad. First and foremost my father was honored today at the Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital with the unveiling of his portrait that will hang on the walls in the pediatric orthopedic department.  Above is a picture that was sent to me from my son Grant from the unveiling. I wish that I was there to be with my family today, which is why I am also sad that I wasn’t there to be with them.  There were many friends, and family that were there, so that is wonderful.  They had a great meal last night, and another one tonight at Dr. Mencio’s house.

The good news is that I was able to call in from the road, literally from the side of the road, about 20 miles north of the New York State line along Lake Erie.  I just pulled over and called into the meeting and they patched me in to the meeting, while standing in a vineyard. I was able to speak for a few minutes and it really made me happy that I was able to do that.

This morning we were watching the weather and hoping the storm would pass us.  As you can see from the picture below, the streets and bike path were a little wet when we left.  The good news is it really never rained on us today, just wet roads to start, and then near the end the rain was light, more like spitting on us every now and then, never enough to make the roads completely wet.


Below is some weather data, headwind 97% of the time, temp around mid 60’s, 21% of the time rain, although light as already stated.



As I was riding, I was hoping to out run the clouds, and we did, or they went more east and we were heading northeast.  It was a cool day mid 60’s all day, probably because of the wind blowing off of the lake.


There were a lot of vineyards along the way today, right on the edge of the lake, and on the other side of the road as well.  Some were for wine, and others were raising grapes for Welch’s.


Welcome to New York, only 3 more states to go!  We are getting close, and that is another reason for both my excitement and reservation.  I am really enjoying this tour, and don’t want it to end, but on the other hand, I look so forward to the completion of such a great journey and dipping my front tire in the Atlantic Ocean at Revere Beach in a week, next Friday morning!


Here are several pictures from today.  Is Bruce the Moose a Moose Member??  I think so!

The Barcelona Light House, built in 1829, along the shores of Lake Erie in NY.


Here is the plaque that was on the lighthouse.



For those of you who are old enough to remember Caddyshack, here is the golf course. Probably not the one from the movie, but funny.

The home of all kinds of Yard Art, right here for your buying pleasure.

Should I take a bike or a horse to Boston?

Another Indian territory.

Here is the map from today’s ride.

And the data numbers.  I took it easier today, because my knee has been sore, and tomorrow is a lot of climbing and 95 miles. Hopefully my thinking ahead will pay off for the remainder of the week.


Thank you for following along with me on this journey, and if you can please make a donation to the Children's Hospital below.  100% of your funds go to the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.


https://vanderbilt.ejoinme.org/bikeacrosstheusa


As a non-profit institution, the Children's Hospital provides care to the children who come through its' doors regardless of the family's ability to pay.  Caring support from the community allows this level of service to continue.

3 comments:

  1. Missed you today but am so proud of what you are doing to honor Big Neil! The portrait is beautiful and an unbelievable image capture of his personable self. Miss him terribly! He would be so proud of your dedication and endurance in support of something you feel so strong about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bruce, A beautiful portrait of your Dad! We know you wanted to be there too, but your Biking Across America has brought more honor to your Dad and his memory than anything anyone could imagine. Can't believe your a week away from Boston. Love, Art and Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. The artist did a nice job capturing your dad. Good luck in the last week . With all the optimism and good feelings you’ve expressed , you might just want to dip your tire in the Atlantic and then ride back to California. Safe riding & my the breezes blow in the direction that you’re riding. Dt

    ReplyDelete