Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Tour de USA | Stage 32 Champaign, IL 88 miles


Today was the last riding day of the week, and tomorrow is a rest day.  Last night I had a friend (Dave T.) from Chicago come to Springfield, IL for the start of today’s ride.  We went to dinner with his cousin, and his daughter who just graduated from med school, and starts as a resident on Monday.  It was nice to  see them and talk about the ride, and get Dave ready for the start this morning. Above is a picture of us before the start this am. 

Last night there was a big storm that blew through and woke a lot of us with the lightening and thunder.  The good news is that the roads were only a little damp when we left this morning, and we were just behind the rain all day and never got wet today.

I also woke up this am to a mushy rear tire.  I was thinking that we were over these flat tire issues, not so fast.  So I changed the tube out this morning before the ride with the help of Dana, Paula’s husband.  We couldn’t find the cause, so wrote it off as a bad tube.  Well 19 miles into the ride, I have another flat.  I decided to throw the tire out and buy another new one and a new tube.  This one made it through the day.  Not sure what all of these tires and tubes are going to cost me, but sometimes you have to pay the going price, like buying a beer at a football game.  You know it isn’t going to be cheaper than Amazon, LOL.  Anyway, I am back rolling again.

And below is a picture from the first SAG stop.  Dave had a big ride of the Mississippi River Valley this weekend, that I was supposed to ride with him and his friends, but was unable to because of this ride, so we came down to spend the day with me.  We had a great time catching up and discussing all kinds of things.  Thanks Dave!

It is hard to see in this picture but, more corn and wind turbines behind Dave.  The riders have taken an informal poll, and we have decided the roads in Illinois are the worst so far of any state that we have ridden, but the people passing us in cars are some of the nicest, and courteous. 


Post ride before a rest day, I wash my bike, and clean it, as do the other riders.  The good news is that Dave was able to use my shower while I did this, and then when he was done with the hotel room, I was done with my bike, so I took a quick shower and we headed over to the Red Lobster for a late lunch, and a beer for Dave.  Dave’s wife, Aimee thought it was funny that we were at Red Lobster, that she wanted us to take a picture with the sign in the background.  The truth is it was closest restaurant to the hotel that serves beer, and it was very good.   It hit the spot.

This is us with Aimee, and Dave’s bike.

We had another accident today, that I was not aware of until I went back to the hotel after Dave and Aimee left.  My friend, Navi, a young lady that has just graduated from college and has received a great score on her MCAT’s fell while riding today.  She is very new to cycling, and I am not sure what caused her to fall, but she was taken to the hospital and released with a mild concussion. She is going to stay off of the bike for a few days.  Good thing is that her original helmet was not a good one, and didn’t fit, and CAthy and I made her get a new one that fit her.  The helmet did it’s job today!  She will be fine, and I ate dinner with her tonight.

Here is our map from today, and our mileage of 88 miles. Here is the video: Tour de USA | Stage 32 Champaign, IL https://www.relive.cc/view/1634771400





Thank you for following along with me on this journey, and if you can please make a donation to the Children's Hospital below.  100% of your funds go to the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.


https://vanderbilt.ejoinme.org/bikeacrosstheusa


As a non-profit institution, the Children's Hospital provides care to the children who come through its' doors regardless of the family's ability to pay.  Caring support from the community allows this level of service to continue.


No comments:

Post a Comment